In today’s workforce, women face unique and ever-evolving challenges. It helps to have other working women in your life to share struggles, brainstorm ideas, and help each other with career opportunities and advice. Build a strong “inner circle” of fellow female professionals, and you’ll reap a community that will help advance your career for years to come. But how do you meet these people? Start by getting involved, and showing up in spaces with other working women. Women’s networking groups are a simple place to start! If you’re in Seattle, we’ve compiled a list of nine groups that host regular events for women at work.
Business and Professional Women (BPWA)
As a nonprofit organization, Business and Professional Women (BPWA) strives to empower women personally, professionally, and politically. The membership-based organization has a goal to achieve equity for all women in the workplace. Local BPWA chapters in the Seattle area host monthly meetings where you can learn about their training and leadership development opportunities.
- Keep in touch: @bpw.wa
- Connect: Attend a local monthly meeting to find out more about the organization and explore becoming a member. Members take part in an array of educational workshops, networking events, speaker series, and mentorship opportunities.
Lean In Seattle
Seattle hosts the largest chapter of Lean In in the world with more than 6,000 active members. As a multicultural and multigenerational community, the group aims to move women’s leadership forward through interactive monthly events and small group workshops. Lean In Seattle gives women the opportunity to connect, learn, and succeed together in an environment that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
- Keep in touch: @leaninseattle
- Connect: If you’d like to become involved in Lean In Seattle, you can attend one of their events.
Women in Business & Leadership Initiative
The Seattle Chamber is a great resource for networking, and offers one of the most robust event calendars around. The Chamber also supports the Women in Business and Leadership Initiative, which is specifically aimed to bring female leaders in to talk about their careers and share advice and resources in the fight for gender equity in the workplace. Past speakers include Washington Senator Patty Murray and Seattle City Council Member Lorena Gonzalez.
- Keep in touch:
- Connect: Check out their events on the Chamber’s website. Attend the annual WIBLI awards ceremony to get the who’s who of female leaders in Seattle.
Women Business Owners
For 40 years, Women Business Owners has helped women entrepreneurs in Seattle develop their networks while connecting them with educational opportunities and resources. If you want to connect with seasoned entrepreneurs and support a women-owned business community, this is the organization for you. Join this membership-based community to access business seminars, a speaker series, and leadership development opportunities.
- Keep in touch: @WBOWWA
- Connect: Expand your network and participate in monthly events by joining Women Business Owners. The organization also hosts an annual banquet to honor the Nellie Cashman Woman Business Owner of the Year recipient.
Washington Women’s Foundation
With a vision of changing the course of women’s philanthropy through the power of collective giving, Washington Women’s Foundation inspires hundreds of women to be active leaders in philanthropy. The foundation has hosted a variety of events, including educational forums, skill-building workshops, nonprofit visits, and community celebrations. You can check out one of the foundation’s free monthly Transforming Together events or consider becoming a member.
- Keep in touch: @wawomensfdn
- Connect: Attend a Transforming Together event and learn more about joining the foundation. You can also support the Washington Women’s Foundation by giving a one-time donation.
At the core of Ellevate is the idea that when ambitious professional women are able to access more opportunities, everyone benefits. The active Seattle chapter is among a global, cross-industry network of professional women committed to helping each other succeed. Ellevate Seattle has a membership model and hosts a variety of educational webinars and networking events.
- Keep in touch: Ellevate Seattle
- Connect: Check out Ellevate Seattle’s latest events and webinars and consider joining as a member. With a variety of online and in-person opportunities, there are a number of ways to connect with the network.
Women in Cloud
Women in Cloud is a community-led initiative that supports female entrepreneurs in tech. With a mission to inspire, empower, and accelerate the growth of women-led technology companies, the initiative provides partnership opportunities, programs and alliances that advance the success of women in tech. Along with their network, Women in Cloud offers an immersive six-month business accelerator program and features an annual summit.
- Keep in touch: @womenincloud
- Connect: Get involved with Women in Cloud by signing up to join their network. If you’re interested in a deeper commitment, you can also become a mentor, volunteer, or sponsor.
Association for Women in Communications Seattle
The Association for Women in Communications (AWC) is a women’s networking group that champions the advancement of women in communications disciplines. As part of a national chapter, AWC Seattle provides women with networking, professional development, job opportunities, and a supportive community. The organization hosts ongoing networking events and get-togethers, along with affinity groups and a mentorship program.
- Keep in touch: @AWCSeattle
- Connect: You can join AWC as a member, volunteer, or attend a get together open to non-members. The organization also hosts an annual awards dinner and scholarship fundraiser.
More Events for Seattle’s Professional Women
Now, you can start building a strong network of Seattle connections and mentors by attending events and getting involved with these local women’s networking groups. This is just a small sample of the dozens of networking organizations for women in Seattle. Here are some additional resources for women’s networking groups in Seattle.
- MeetUp features an array of professional women’s groups in the Seattle area for women of all ages and backgrounds.