It is against the law for employers to discriminate based on age. Yet, ageism is an undeniable truth in the modern workforce.
In this bonus episode of Find Your Dream Job, Kerry Hannon, author of Love Your Job: The New Rules of Career Happiness, shares her tips on how you can overcome age bias when looking for a new job.
Employers can be skeptical about hiring older workers because they worry:
- You don’t have the stamina for the job.
- You may not be up to speed or willing to learn new technology.
- Your salary demands may be too high and your health benefits cost more.
- You won’t be able to answer to or take direction from younger bosses.
To fight back against this perception, Kerry suggests the following:
- Don’t get stuck in the past
- Get a career coach
- Don’t get caught up on salary
- Study up on technology
- Use social media
- Focus on networking
- Join (or create) a job-hunting group
- Do your homework
- Believe in yourself
Opening and closing music for Find Your Dream Job provided by Freddy Trujillo, www.freddytrujillo.com.