2023 Oregon and Washington Employer Survey Highlights Top Trends in Local Job Market
Portland, Ore., Oct. 3, 2023 – A new report from Mac’s List, the Pacific Northwest’s premier job board, shows that the world of work has undergone big changes since 2020.
“The job market shifted significantly after the start of the COVID-19 pandemic,” says Mac Prichard, founder and CEO of Mac’s List. “Employers have embraced hybrid and remote work, and job seekers continue to hold an advantage, thanks to low unemployment rates and the current labor shortage.”
“And more change is coming,” says Prichard. “Transparency in job postings and employee satisfaction will be key factors in shaping the future of work in our region.”
These and other findings are outlined in the Oregon and Washington Hiring Report 2023, an annual publication from Mac’s List. It draws on a survey between June 26 and July 26 of 115 local employers in Oregon and Washington across various industries.
Key Findings from the Mac’s List Employer Survey 2023:
- Hybrid and remote work is the new normal: 50% of surveyed employers plan to hire hybrid or remote workers in the next 12 months. This marks a significant shift from the pre-pandemic era when only 9% of Portlanders worked remotely in 2019. In 2023, 12.7% of U.S. full-time employees work from home, with 28.2% adopting a hybrid model. By 2025, an estimated 36.2 million Americans will work remotely, emphasizing the role of adaptability and technology in reshaping the modern workplace.
- Job seekers maintain their advantage: Employers continue to find it challenging to identify the right candidates, with 56% of respondents citing this as their biggest hiring challenge. The job market remains favorable for job seekers, as 53% of surveyed employers foresee no significant changes in the job market in the coming year.
- A strong job market ahead: 80% of employers state that they plan to hire new workers in the next 12 months, aligning with labor market analysis projecting job growth in Oregon and Washington. These opportunities reflect optimism about economic growth and demand for diverse skills.
- Salary transparency is the norm: In a significant shift, 90% of respondents now include salary information in their job postings. This trend toward transparency aligns with national changes and benefits job seekers by reducing wage gaps, clarifying expectations, and streamlining the recruitment process.
- The Great Resignation eases: The trend of employees leaving their jobs in large numbers has receded, with 51% of employers reporting that retention rates are about the same and 23% indicating higher retention than usual. This suggests that businesses have adjusted to the evolving labor market with improved retention strategies and better working conditions.
Please visit the Mac’s List website for a detailed look at the survey results.
About Mac’s List
Mac’s List is a regional job board in Portland, Oregon for professionals and employers in the Pacific Northwest. Founded in 2001 by Mac Prichard, Mac’s List shares high quality local job listings and practical, actionable career and hiring advice. Mac’s List is the first Certified B Corp job board in the United States and its mission is to make the hiring process more human. Whether you’re looking for the right job, direction in your career, or your next new hire, the Mac’s List team is here to help. To learn more, visit www.macslist.org.