Entry Level Organizer - Organizing Specialist
SEIU Local 503
Location: Portland Metro
Closing Date: open until filled
Industry: Nonprofit, Other
Type: Full Time
SEIU 503 is a union of 55,000 public workers, care providers, and non-profit employees in Oregon. We envision a just and vibrant society where everyone is treated with dignity and respect, and where all workers can provide for themselves and their families.
Organizing Specialists – Portland & Salem
Purpose of this position:
The principal role of this entry level organizing position is to build union member power through mobilizing members around issues and campaigns, increasing union membership, engaging members in contract campaigns and political actions, responding to basic information requests, assisting with low-level contract enforcement, and other duties as assigned. These positions will receive significant training and will provide an excellent introduction to the labor movement, for those considering a career in union organizing.
Duties that must be performed to accomplish the purpose of this position:
• Assist in organizing efforts to mobilize workers (internal, external, and political);
• Assist leaders/officers in the performance of their responsibilities;
• Follow through on communicating and sharing information with members regarding organizing, bargaining, contract enforcement, and political action;
• Identify organizing issues and refer members to field and member resource center (MRC) organizers for appropriate follow-up and support;
• Increase membership and member engagement through ongoing outreach via phone-banking, home visits, and site visits;
• Answer basic incoming MRC questions, assist with low-level contract representation, and refer to other departments as appropriate for further support, representation, or organizing;
• Engage in political action through door-to-door canvassing, phone banks, issue campaigns, candidate campaigns, membership education on priority issues and candidates, member mobilization for lobbying and get-out-the-vote drives.
• A demonstrated commitment to empowering workers through the labor movement or community/political work;
• Experience working for social justice as an organizer or activist;
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills required;
• Experience with political action, leadership identification and development, and motivating people to take action preferred.
These are 40 hour per week positions and are eligible for overtime. Shifts may include evening and weekend work. All positions are full-time, with at least one permanent position, and several six-month limited duration positions available. Pay range is $3368 - $3876 per month, depending on experience, with an excellent compensation and benefit package.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, bi- or multi-lingual, and people with mobility or physical disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: A resume and cover letter describing your relevant experience may be sent by e-mail to Chad Sullivan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pay range is $3368 - $3876 per month, depending on