Political and Government Relations Organizer
SEIU Local 49
Location: Portland Metro
Closing Date: 2/3/2017
Type: Full Time
Summary: The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 49 is now accepting resumes from smart, motivated individuals who have a passion for helping workers fight for better working conditions, dignity on the job, and improvements in the lives of all working families.
SEIU Local 49 is a 10,000 member local union based in Portland, Oregon. The Local represents and organizes janitors, security officers, and health care workers throughout Oregon and southwest Washington and throughout the U.S. We are committed to helping workers fight for social and economic justice on the job and in the community.
Description: The SEIU Local 49 will be hiring a full-time permanent political organizer. SEIU is the largest, fastest growing union in the State of Oregon and Washington. SEIU is dedicated to political work that improves the lives of working people.
The Political and GR Organizer will work with the SEIU Local 49 team of organizers and members and reports to the SEIU Local 49 Political Director. Responsibilities include implementation of issue-based campaigns of importance to SEIU 49 members and working families in Oregon and Washington, lobbying for SEIU’s legislative agenda, and coalition priorities with partner groups and participating in targeted state and federal campaigns.
This position will often require irregular hours including many nights and weekends. An ideal candidate will be organized, energetic, able to motivate others, is committed to growing the labor movement and improving the lives of working people.
Areas of Responsibility
• Provide support to other organizing staff for the recruitment, training, leadership development and coordination of member political activists for political fundraising, electoral campaigns, issue campaign and legislative meetings and other union activities;
• Track and support increased member participation using various database functions;
• Work with multiple levels of staff and members to develop goals and execute plans for members participation in candidate interviews, lobby days, town hall meetings, elected official accountability activities, voter registration drives, vote-by-mail and GOTV activities;
• Provide staff support to our elected and ad-hoc member leadership meetings, schedule member committee meetings, train and mentor staff, member activists to help them achieve political goals;
• Work with staff and members to integrate political strategy into planning for contract and organizing campaigns;
• Prepare and/or support the creation of member education materials;
• Plan and manage multiple campaigns and projects simultaneously in a high-pressure environment requiring rapid adjustment to changing priorities and strategies;
• Represent SEIU local 49 and our SEIU partners in coalitions, the state legislature, local governments, to members of Congress and other public forums;
• Empower the membership to build effective advocacy relationships with elected officials, community partners, and other stakeholders,
• A proven ability to work with diverse communities and coalition partners
• An ability to be self-directed and motivated to achieve goals with an excellent work ethic.
• A high level of professional integrity
• Strong commitment to working in a team environment to achieve goals
• Experience writing and implementing a political and legislative plan
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Job Requirements/Minimum Qualifications
• A demonstrated commitment to union issues and growing the labor movement;
• At least 4 years experience running campaigns for state, local or federal office;
• A background working within a governmental body on issues important to workers and their families;
• Strong computer literacy including the ability to manipulate and analyze voter and member data;
• Must have a valid driver’s license and automobile for business use
• Ability to work long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends
• Organizing experience a plus
• Must be willing to travel regionally and nationally for extended periods of time
• Bilingual in Spanish and English with strong verbal, written and communications skills.
SEIU Local 49 is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
If this interests you, email or fax cover letter and resume by February 3, 2017 to:
SEIU, Local 49
c/o Felisa Hagins
$48,433.32 to $80,804.88 DOE