School Outreach Intern - Spring 2017
Providence Health & Services
Location: Portland Metro
Closing Date: 1/20/2017
Industry: Health Care
Type: Part Time
Providence is calling senior level college or university students to Spring internship opportunities within multiple departments in the Portland metro area which includes East and West Portland, Wilsonville, and Newberg.
Preference is given to applicants who are in the first generation of their families to attend college
General Internship Description:
Interns will be responsible for completing specifically identified healthcare or systems related projects. The projects will be varied and are based on the needs of the participating departments, health system and communities we serve. Interns will be provided preceptor support along with clearly defined expectations for assigned work. Further details regarding exact departmental responsibilities will be provided after applicant screening process, however the following are some of the areas where we anticipate there to be internship opportunities:
• Public Health Events: Assist in the planning and implementation of community events.
• Medical Informatics: Assist with various projects involved with organizing and reporting data.
• Public Relations/Communications: Skills learned or developed will include interviewing, writing and editing; website posting and management; interpersonal communication; project management; and photo coordination, editing and archiving. Strong writing and communication skills required. English, journalism, communications, marketing majors strongly preferred.
• Internships and School Outreach: Assist with career exploration programs including Surgical Viewings and Career Highlights; Assist with the internship program. Multiple opportunities available.
• Electronic Medical Records: Engage with the Epic EMR to track and document patient records and current processes.
• New Patient Customer Service: Engage with new patients to provide an exceptional Providence experience. Excellent communication skills required.
• Emergency Response: Learn the operational aspects of the Lifeline program, communicate with subscribers. Located in Newberg, OR.
• Providence Medical Group: assist with quality initiatives in a clinic setting. Requires strong organizational and verbal communications skills.
• Providence Brain and Spine Institute: survey administration; data collection and entry for disease surveillance; and literature reviews for new population-based health studies. Interest in neuroscience preferred.
• Operational Excellence: work with the portfolio management team on SharePoint site related projects.
• Specialty Programs: assist project team in implementing and documenting standard workflows. Good communication skills required. Exposure to a range of specialty practices.
• Emergency Management: participate in a project around data management of hospital services and emergency preparedness. Requires a flexible problem solver interested in disaster preparedness and response.
Interns will not be providing direct patient care.
• Relevant healthcare industry projects and experience
• Work directly with a variety of professionals and Providence departments
• Healthcare careers exposure
Length: One academic quarter/term 10-12 weeks. Maximum of 240 hours.
Time Commitment: Be available 2-4 days per week, per term
Work Hours: Dependent on department, business hours are typical. Less than 20 hours per week.
Pay: To be determined. Non-benefits eligible.
Start and end dates: April 10-June 16, or once 240 hours have been completed.
Required qualifications for this position include:
• High school diploma or equivalent and completion of 3 years of post-secondary education
• Enrolled in and working towards a post-secondary education
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
• Enrolled in a healthcare career, mental health, public health, social work degree program or related field
• Experience working or volunteering to address health disparities
• 1 year of customer service experience
• Medical terminology coursework experience
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, January 20, 2017
About Providence in Oregon
As the largest healthcare system and largest private employer in Oregon, Providence offers exceptional work environments and unparalleled career opportunities.
The Providence Experience begins each time our patients or their families have an encounter with a Providence team member and continues throughout their visit or stay. Whether you provide direct or indirect patient care, we want our patients to feel that they are in a welcoming place where they can be comfortable and free from anxiety. Our employees create the Providence Experience through simple, caring behaviors such as acknowledging and welcoming each visitor, introducing ourselves and Providence, addressing people by name, providing the duration of estimated wait times and updating frequently if timelines change, explaining situations in a way that puts patients at ease, carefully listening to their concerns, and always thanking people for trusting Providence for their healthcare needs. At Providence, our quality vision is simple,
"Providence will provide the best care and service to every person, every time."
Providence is consistently ranked among the top 100 companies to work for in Oregon. It is also home to two of our award-winning Magnet medical centers. Providence hospitals and clinics are located in numerous areas, ranging from the Columbia Gorge to the wine country to sunny southern Oregon to charming coastal communities to the urban setting of Portland. If you want a vibrant lifestyle while working with a team highly committed to the art of healing, choose from our many options in Oregon.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 76,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 475 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Providence Health & Services is an equal opportunity employer who provides competitive benefits, a drug-free workplace and supports work/life balance.
Answer the call. Providenceiscalling.jobs
When applying online, please reference job number 140846.
To be determined. Non-benefits eligible.