Records Management Assistant
Portland Water Bureau
Location: Portland Metro
Closing Date: 2/24/2017
Type: Part Time
The Portland Water Bureau Resource Protection and Planning Group is hiring a Records Management Assistant to help facilitate a successful relocation and archiving of public records. The bureau seeks to hire the position immediately for work that is anticipated to continue through the 2017 calendar year. The position is part-time (20 – 30 hrs. a week) and temporary (through approximately December 31, 2017) with flexible shifts and schedules within the bureau’s regular office hours of Monday – Friday 8AM – 5PM. The position will work directly with the Resource Protection and Planning Group Director and the group’s Office Manager to identify, archive and digitally reproduce public records in accordance with city and state public records laws.
The City of Portland is conducting a major rehabilitation of the Portland Building, its principal downtown general office building. Staff and offices located within the building, including the Water Bureau’s Resource Protection and Planning Group, will be moving out of the building in late 2017 for two to three years while the rehabilitation takes place. In preparation for the move, bureau staff need to reduce the volume of hard copy paper files currently in their possession while ensuring proper archiving and maintenance of public records.
The Records Management Assistant will work directly with bureau staff to accomplish the following:
1. Assist in the review of files to identify and label public records.
2. Determine retention requirements for identified public records.
3. Convey records no longer required to be directly accessible to City Archives.
4. Digitize selected physical records for storage in the City’s digital archive structure.
5. Create and maintain records lists to track conveyance of public records to archives and digital storage formats.
6. Other records maintenance tasks as required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Ability to categorize and organize information.
• Ability to identify, compile, and record appropriate data.
• Ability to organize and prioritize work.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to identify and correct data entry errors.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to lift, carry, push and pull boxes weighing 35-50 pounds.
• Ability to think analytically and effectively organize work and follow both written and oral direction.
• Ability to manage time and multitask.
• Knowledge of how to operate computerized equipment and software.
$18 per hour at start with opportunities for increases based on performance and tenure.
The Resource Protection and Planning Group conducts natural resource stewardship, environmental protection and resource planning efforts related to Portland’s drinking water system. The Group contains five divisions of science, technical and program staff working either directly or through active partnerships, outreach and education efforts to ensure that 1) the natural conditions contributing to Portland’s outstanding drinking water sources are protected and maintained, 2) environmental regulations regarding endangered species, aquatic habitat, and water quality are met and exceeded, and 3) adequate quantities of high quality source water will remain available to the Portland region in the foreseeable future. The five divisions supporting these functions include Intergovernmental Coordination, Water Efficiency, Source Protection, Environmental Compliance and Water Resources Education. The group performs additional related functions including coordination of Portland Water Bureau sustainability efforts, bureau-wide legislative and regulatory review and management and staffing for the 22-member Regional Water Provider’s Consortium.
Please email a resume and one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM on Friday February 24th. Please tell us about the following:
• Your experience with archiving and/or retention and filing of public records.
• Your knowledge and experience with digital scanning equipment and software.
• Your experience and ability working in busy office environments with a wide variety of personnel.
$18 per hour