Medical Billing Specialist
Kwan-Yin Healing Arts Center
Location: Portland Metro
Closing Date: open until filled
Industry: Business, Health Care, Other
Type: Full Time
We are a busy alternative healthcare clinic located in NW Portland in need of an experienced medical biller to join our business department. The ability to work independently and efficiently is an essential component to this position. The ideal candidate will be someone who is dependable, professional, caring and has superb communication skills.
$15.00/hour, Level 1
Billing Manager and Business Operations Manager
The Medical Billing Specialist position bills insurance companies for all clinic bills, processes explanation of benefits, verifies patient benefits, pursues collection of all claims until payment is made by insurance companies; and performs other work associated with the billing process.
• Prepares and submits claims to third-party insurance carriers either electronically or by paper.
• Applies payments from explanation of benefits.
• Verifies patient insurance coverage.
• Calls third-party insurance carriers to collect on past due or denied claims.
• Prepares monthly reports for Practitioner pay.
• Keeps updated on all third-party billing requirements and changes for insurance types within the area of responsibility.
• Completes work within authorized time to assure compliance with departmental standards.
• Communicates effectively with front desk employees and practitioners regarding patient insurance billing issues.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Experience billing primary and secondary medical insurance claims.
• Experience processing EOB payments.
• Proven understanding of medical billing, ICD-10 and CPT codes, and insurance terminology.
• Knowledge of HIPAA regulations and the ability to maintain patient confidentiality.
• Attention to detail and strong work ethic.
• Ability to learn new programs and procedures quickly and accurately.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions, and work independently within a group setting.
Required Education & Experience
• Post high school courses in insurance billing, data processing and medical terminology preferred.
• Minimum of one year prior experience in billing of third-party insurances for facility or professional services required.
• Knowledge of third-party billing requirements.
• Experience with Office Ally – Practice Mate is required.
• Experience with Practice Fusion, and QuickBooks is preferred, though not required.
• Stress Management/Composure.
• Results Driven.
• Technical Capacity.
• Problem Solving/Analysis.
• Customer/Client Focus.
• Teamwork Orientation.
• Collaboration Skills.
• Time Management.
• Communication Proficiency.
There is no supervisory responsibilities for this position.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Ability to sit for long periods of time. Manual dexterity needed for using a calculator and computer keyboard. This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, skills and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Some flexibility in hours is allowed after 90 day probationary period, but the employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Occasional overtime may be required and/or hours may be shortened as business needs dictate.
Competitive compensation package
401(k) retirement plan with up to 4% match
Friendly atmosphere and culture
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter in the body of your email, detailing your medical billing experience and interest in the position, and your resume as an attachment.