Most people spend more time working than just about anything else. For those of us who want to make a positive difference in the world, it seems natural to seek that fulfillment in our careers. We seek out organizations that connect, help, and inspire, and dive into nonprofit careers that make a difference.
All of that sounds great, right? But when you’re just getting started in your career, or you’re looking to make a change, breaking into a nonprofit or change-making career is more than daunting—it can seem impossible. I get questions about this all the time, which is why I did what I advise all job seekers to do: I reached out and asked my network.
I realized that there are great resources, friendly people, and actionable ways to build a nonprofit career in Oregon. So the Mac’s List team got together with the Pamplin School of Business at University of Portland and started planning an event series to share all this with the community.
The event series is Piloting Your Nonprofit Career in Oregon, and it’s all about helping you build a career in Oregon’s social good sector. We held our first event in the series in March and it was full of great conversation all around. It was also a terrific opportunity for job seekers and career changers to mix with nonprofit pros from the panel and from organizations in town. Plus, three lucky attendees won gifts from our raffle, which always sweetens the deal.
Next month, on June 29, we’ll bring together a brand new panel of nonprofit and social enterprise leaders to share advice and tools you can use to move and advance your career into the social-good sector.
Read more about the details below, and get signed up on Eventbrite. I hope you will join me and the Mac’s List team on June 29! We’ll be announcing panelists soon so stay tuned.
Thursday, June 29 at 5:30 p.m.
University of Portland
Learn how to navigate within Oregon’s robust—and highly-competitive—nonprofit scene. Gain actionable tactics from a panel of nonprofit pros to help you find work and build your career in a change-making organization. And discover new avenues for meaningful work within the growing community of benefit corporations and social impact enterprises.
What you’ll learn:
- Trends in the nonprofit and social enterprise sector
- Tips to land work in the nonprofit and social good space
- Perspectives from established leaders in the sector
- Resources to guide you on your way to making a difference in Oregon
- Ways to connect with interesting, socially-minded people and organizations
- Actions you can take to attain the skills you need to succeed in a social good career
Who should attend:
- Professionals looking to transition into the nonprofit sector
- Current nonprofit professionals looking for new opportunities
- Students embarking on a social good career
- Anyone looking for a sustainable career in the the nonprofit and social good sector
- People who are passionate about organizations that make Oregon (and the world) a better place
What to expect:
- Drinks and hors d’oeuvres to be served throughout the event
- All paid registrants receive a complimentary paperback copy of Land Your Dream Job in Portland (and Beyond) or Land Your Dream Job Anywhere. (Your choice! Books to be delivered at the event.)
- 5:30-6:15 p.m. – Check-in and networking
- 6:15-7:15 p.m. – Panel discussion
- 7:15-7:45 p.m. – Audience questions
- 7:45-8:00 p.m. – Networking